In the road, there was a dead cat, white and orange, in the road that people were just running over or avoiding all together. I passed by it, bothered by the sight and kept going. Since the road was detoured all over the place, I ended up just turning around and ended up passing the cat again. After going for another 5 minutes, my conscience got to me so I turned around and parked near the cat again.
I only had paper towels, but I had lots of them. Over the course of 15 minutes, I would get the guts to go in the road, slowly wrap the cat in paper towels to protect myself (lots of head trauma, and an eye that was popped out :-() and slowly drag the cat to the side of the road, where it was at least safe from more damage. I started to write notes, but ended up just going to people's houses and letting them know I found a cat dead in the road and pulled it off to the side and asked them to pass it around to their neighbors.
Now this was somebody's pet; he had a collar on and everything. Since there was so much head trauma, I was too nervous to unwrap the head and check to see if there was a tag, but at least I had enough of a conscience to protect it... Someone loved and cared for this pet and now, lost their pet because yes, cats are stupid and run randomly into roads.
After pulling basically onto someone's yard and bugging all the neighbors, I drove off and couldn't stop crying. One of the neighbors said they noticed the cat hours ago, and they did nothing. There was a decent amount of traffic on the road and NO ONE did anything. This was someone's pet - what if it was my kitty Spike? She loves to go outside and while she's overly afraid of cars, what if she got hit... Would anyone make any effort to save her? Would anyone try to take her to the vet to save her life?
...Or would they just let her lie in the road to die? And once dead, to just rot there?
I want to keep Spike indoors, but she gets too antsy and I doubt my dad would listen to me. I hugged her extra tonight...
I'm still wicked upset, I mean you probably think it's really illogical to get to pained at this type of thing, but that's just the kind of person I am I guess. The only thing I can really do now is buy a shovel, so when this type of thing happens again, I can be a little safer when pulling dead pets that someone else hit and ran over to a better spot for them.
I hope I can sleep tonight :-(
Just if you see a girl with a silver Ford Focus pulled over on the side of the road with her hazards on, trying to save animals or something, please don't hit me :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment