Thursday, February 5, 2009

Walk For Hunger 2009!

I'm so excited! Registration was just opened for the 41st Walk For Hunger, which will be on May 3rd! This will be me and my partner-in-crime Corey's third time walking all 20 miles all through Boston and surrounding cities and I'm so pumped :-)

What is the Walk for Hunger? It's run by Project Bread, and helps hungry families in Massachusetts get access to quality meals. More info? Project Bread's Website

My goal this year for the Walk For Hunger:
  • Get corporate funding. In late March/early April, sending out letters reaching out to businesses in my community. I don't know how it will go, but I'm excited and hopeful that they will support me.
  • Raise $1200 and remain a Heart and Sole Walker (raise over $500). Last year, I raised $1000 in two weeks, thanks to incredibly generous family, coworkers, and friends. My first Walk, I raised $600 in just four days. I know that in this recession, money will be harder to come by, so my goal is big and may be impossible. I will feel satisfied if I raise over $500, because I will remain a Heart and Sole Walker for my third year in a row.
  • Bring a poncho to the Walk For Hunger, be prepared! Last year, Corey and I got downpoured on badly. From miles 2-7 I believe we were DRENCHED!
The Walk For Hunger means a lot to me, and it's my favorite charity to participate in. I don't like to go hungry (and I don't look like I do either :-P) and I don't want anyone else to either. Every year, no matter how tough it is, I walk all 20 miles. Last year, I nearly quit at mile 10, freaked out, started crying, but I was there at the end, thanks to Corey... I intend to do all 20 miles again :-)

Just to get myself pumped, here are some pictures from last year's Walk (click for big):


I decorated my backpack for the occasion :-)

We were SOAKED, right after the downpour

I have happy feet, guys

Corey looking thrilled at the mile 7 marker. Another goal of mine? Get more pictures of us doing the walk

I take pictures of all the Heart and Sole signs, I'm super proud to be in the Heart and Sole Circle :-)

This year, it's going to be my biggest, most dedicated year yet. However, I can't do this without you guys, so now is my plea to start thinking of me and my cause. Start saving if you can, so come April and May when I start requesting donations, we can all help in getting rid of hunger in Massachusetts!

<3

So excited!

No comments: